Our next round of Job Search Bootcamp will begin in May 2023 and registration will open in early April. Join our Bootcamp Office Hours on 3/28 or 4/25 to learn more about the program and ask your questions. To be the first to hear when we open registration or to learn about our future programs, please join our interest list.
Stand out. Get hired. Do the work you love.
Have you hit a wall with your job search? Are you ready to start looking for a new job, but not even sure where to start?
You’re not alone.
Let’s face it, job searching can be a frustrating, confusing, and isolating process, especially when you’re looking for mission-driven work. Do any of these sound familiar?
- You want to be strategic with your job search, but you’re not sure how to maximize your time and energy. Every time you sit down to do some work, you feel paralyzed, like you’re not sure where to start or what to do first.
- Now that you’re advancing in your career, you know that you need to be more intentional about the roles you pursue. You get that that applying to jobs online isn’t that effective, but you’re not sure how to find opportunities that you can get excited about (and that can pay the bills!).
- You’re struggling with telling your story, especially when your career path is a little…non-linear. You know you have lots of great skills and value to bring to an organization, but you’re not sure how to communicate them in an effective way.
- It seems like the “best practices” for things like resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn are changing all the time, and it’s virtually impossible to keep up. You know you need to be up on the latest trends, but Googling can only get you so far.
And to add to all this, there’s the emotional toll of job searching. One minute you’re flying high after getting an interview, and the next you’re devastated after the role you’ve invested so much time in doesn’t pan out.
This process can take a hit on your confidence, and it can make you feel really alone. You can only vent to your family and friends so many times about your frustrations. They’re sympathetic and supportive, but they don’t really get it.
So you’re tired of going it alone, feeling stuck, and putting in the time and work but not seeing results. You know something needs to change, but what?
Job Search Bootcamp will help you answer that question and give you the tools, motivation, and support to find and land a job you love.
How it started
Our founder Erin created Job Search Bootcamp in 2016 to fill a need she saw among many of her clients, and that she experienced herself. When she hit about the 10 year mark post-college, she realized she needed to approach her career and job search in a much different way. She needed to:
- Be more strategic and intentional about finding her next job. She now had a master’s degree and experience across several sectors. She knew more about what she liked and was good at, and had different priorities than she had earlier in her career – she couldn’t just pick up and move anywhere, and her salary requirements were definitely higher. It was time to put more thought into what she wanted to do next, instead of taking whatever opportunity sounded good or came along first.
- Tap and cultivate her professional network. Her first few jobs had come through campus recruiting or a more structured government application process. She knew networking was important, but had never gotten a job that way and wasn’t sure how to navigate the networking process to find a job.
- Figure out how to market and talk about her varied skillset. She had worked in the private sector, government, and nonprofits and on topics from education to international public health. She had experience as a recruiter and HR professional, a U.S. diplomat, and a nonprofit program/project manager. She needed to tie her experience together into a story that made sense.
Erin eventually figured out a path forward after lots of trial and error, and once she started working as a career coach, she saw that many of her clients were wrestling with the same topics at about the same time in their careers.
So she created Job Search Bootcamp to help mid-career social impact professionals find and land their next jobs, in a group structure that provides support, collaboration, accountability, and motivation – the exact things that are missing when you’re job searching on your own.
If this approach resonates and you’re ready to take action on your career next steps, we hope you’ll join us and a group of like-minded professionals to kick your job search into gear.
This is a fantastic program that completely reframed my approach to finding a new job. Before I signed up for Bootcamp, I was applying for lots of jobs with no results. This program helped me focus my search and improve my application materials and tactics. The feedback provided by the coaches was incredibly helpful, and since completing the Bootcamp I have been selected for interviews with several organizations I would love to work for. Bootcamp was the best professional development experience I have had, and it was 100% worth the cost because I am seeing immediate results. Thank you!
– Heather K.
Job Search Bootcamp is an invaluable experience for impact career changers. The process takes you through the foundational steps of reflecting on your values and assessing your career direction as well as the practical steps of how to update your resume and LinkedIn profile, how to interview for jobs, and how to negotiate your compensation package. The Bootcamp helps you build the tools you’ll need for a lifetime of career success!
– Justine J.
Ready to go?
Why it works
Wouldn’t it be nice to get momentum in your job search and check off those tasks you’ve been putting off? Like updating your resume? Dusting off the LinkedIn profile you haven’t updated since starting your last job? Finally setting up those networking coffees you’ve been thinking about but not acting on?
There’s a reason you haven’t gotten the results you want on your own. This work is hard. It requires tons of self-motivation, insight into your own strengths and weaknesses, and the ability to weather a lot of ups and downs.
That’s why we created the Bootcamp to be a fast-paced program that helps you get unstuck and get results. Our meetings each week are action-packed and fun, and you’ll leave each one with specific steps to take in the week ahead to ensure you’re on track toward your goals.
The program will give you the structure, tools and motivation you need to tackle the hard stuff that’s keeping you from taking the next step in your career. And the feedback, support and encouragement you’ll get from other group members will give you new clarity on your strengths and accomplishments and help you navigate the inevitable highs and lows of the job search.
But don’t just take it from us – here’s what other Bootcampers had to say after finishing the program (check out the bottom of this page for even more testimonials!):
I had just received a rejection from a final round interview before finding Bootcamp. I was feeling stuck and not sure how to move forward or where to look. Now, I’m feeling much more confident and like I get to take this job search into my own hands. If you’re unsure of your next career steps, Bootcamp will give you the boost you need to put yourself out there. You are given tools, resources, and a wonderful network to support you.”
I have so much more clarity on the type of role I want and confidence in my ability to present myself effectively. I feel like I know what I’m doing when it comes to my materials and I have a way to approach networking that makes it feel less daunting. I really like the structured approach of Bootcamp and the thorough materials and resources. Having the built-in community of folks across the social sector was also fantastic.”
– Sareen P.
The Bootcamp provided a space for me to develop a clear idea of who I am as a professional and to share that in a succinct way. The intense self examination of my values, my worth, and my skills has been invaluable to me and given me a renewed sense of possibility and opportunity in my job search. Within three weeks of starting the Bootcamp, I had my first interview in nearly two years for a job I felt truly matched my skills and values.”
– Heather P.
Who it’s for
This program isn’t for everyone. It’s probably a great fit for you if:
- You’re a mid-career professional, with at least 10 years of work experience
- You want to do work that has a positive social impact, in the private, public, or nonprofit sectors
- You’re ready to dive in and do the work on your job search and you’re able to spend 3-5 hours per week on this program, including attending group meetings and completing exercises and assignments outside of meetings
- You have some ideas about the type of work you’d like to do next; it’s ok if you’re not 100% sure about your direction or open to a few different paths
- You’re feeling a little stuck about how to move forward with your career next steps, and you know you need structure and accountability to take action
- You have a growth mindset and you’re open to coaching and new ideas about how to share your story and get results
- You’re excited to work with a group of like-minded peers and to give and receive honest feedback in a group setting
Who it’s not for
This program likely isn’t the right fit for you if:
- You are early in your career or planning to retire soon; these are unique situations that benefit from a different focus than what we cover in Bootcamp
- You are not interested in pursuing a career focused on social impact
- You aren’t able to commit at least 3-5 hours per week to this program and attend the majority of our coaching calls; we want you to get the most from Bootcamp, so please join us for a future round if you can’t make this commitment right now
- You’re very unclear on what you want to do next; this program moves quickly and you’ll get the most from it if you have some ideas about what you want to do next (it’s ok if you’re not completely sure yet!); if you’d like to focus on your bigger picture career vision and goals, please check out our Impact Leaders Career Collaborative program.
- You’re looking for individualized coaching or feedback; this is a group program and while there are plenty of opportunities for Q&A, it does not include 1:1 coaching or individualized feedback, unless you choose to add additional coaching sessions. If you would prefer a more robust 1:1 coaching program, please consider our Individual Coaching Program.
- You’re not open to changing your approach or sharing and receiving constructive feedback; there are often big mindset shifts required to approach the career transition process in a different way, and it’s important that you are open to learning and growing during this program.
What we’ll do
Job Search Bootcamp is a group coaching program designed to help mid-career social impact professionals kick start or reinvigorate their job search.
Over eight weeks, you’ll have highly interactive meetings with your coach and a group of other social impact job seekers to build your skills and get support around each step of the job search process.
In between meetings, you’ll complete assignments through our comprehensive course platform to ensure you’re making progress toward your goals and you’ll get additional support through our virtual discussion group, where we’ll answer your questions and provide more resources.
Topics we’ll cover include:
1Build Your Foundation
Get clear on what’s important to you and you want next
2Tell Your Career Story
Identify your strengths and unique career story
3Activate Your Network
Use authentic networking to uncover new opportunities
4Update Your Toolkit
Improve your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile
5Nail the Interview
Get better at interviewing through practice and feedback
6Negotiate the Offer
Learn to ask for what you want with confidence
Ready to join us?
What you’ll leave with
If you join Job Search Bootcamp and commit to attending the meetings and completing all assignments, by the end of the program you will have:
- Clarity on your biggest career priorities, so you can focus on the opportunities that are right for you
- Increased confidence in your top strengths and how to tell your unique career story
- A clear roadmap outlining the key elements of the job search process along with tools, templates, and recruiter-sourced best practices to help you take action
- A compelling job search toolkit – LinkedIn profile, resume, and cover letter – that will help you stand out and get hired
- Goals and a plan for your search, to help you structure your time and work smarter not harder
- Proven tactics to help you succeed in behavioral interviews and negotiations
In addition, you’ll receive:
- Insights and advice from our team of expert career coaches; we are social sector recruiters and HR leaders ready to share our insider knowledge with you and help you succeed
- Eight 90-minute group calls to hone in on key concepts you need to know, practice and get feedback in small groups, and ask your questions
- Ongoing access to our extensive library of content and videos via our Job Search Bootcamp online course; the robust content in the course, including 40+ tools, templates, and videos, serves as a foundation for the program
- A private Slack discussion space, where you’ll connect with other participants and your coaches, share ideas and resources, and get answers to your questions
- Targeted homework to ensure you’re making progress each week
- Accountability and support from a new network of social impact peers who will help you navigate the ups and downs of the job search
- Inclusion in our growing network of social impact professionals and exclusive access to events, job postings, and other content we share only with our clients
- Option to add 1:1 coaching sessions with our team at a discounted rate, and access to content and programs we offer just for our alumni
When it happens
We begin new cohorts three times per year, in January, May, and October, and enrollment opens the month before the program begins. Group calls are held on Tuesdays from 3-4:30 Eastern / 12-1:30 Pacific time.
Our next cohort is scheduled to begin on May 9, 2023 and enrollment will open in early April. Please join our interest list to be notified about enrollment timelines and special bonus opportunities for early sign up, and come to our Bootcamp Office Hours on 3/28 or 4/25 to learn more about the program and ask your questions.
Job Search Bootcamp meetings are held virtually via Zoom. All calls are recorded, however we encourage you to attend as many as you can live, as we spend a part of each meeting in breakout groups, which are not recorded.
What it costs
Your investment in the program includes all live group coaching meetings, coaching support via our private online discussion space, lifetime access to all course materials and call recordings, and inclusion in our growing network of social impact professionals.
- Early pricing (through 4/26): $997, or three payments of $333
- Regular pricing: $1197, or three payments of $399
**Special bonus offer! The first three people to join our next cohort will receive a free 30-minute 1:1 coaching session, and everyone who signs up by 4/14 will receive a free ticket to our upcoming Spring Forward in Your Career Workshop.**
Scholarship details: In alignment with our value of Equity & Access, we offer partial scholarships to this program to participants who identify as BIPOC. To be considered, please fill out this brief application prior to signing up for the program.
I highly recommend the Job Search Bootcamp! It was nerve-wracking to make the financial investment, but the value of the program exceeded my expectations. I thought I would come away with better networking, job searching tools and professional materials, which I did; but I could not have anticipated the confidence, excitement and motivation I built. Now I feel empowered to make choices that fit with my goals and values, and I am excited and ready to take on my job search with the ongoing support of the community I built in the program.
– Janelle C.
OPTIONAL 1:1 COACHING
Many Bootcamp participants want additional time with our coaches during the program, so we provide the option to add 1:1 coaching sessions at a 20% discount from our usual rates (a $70 savings per session).
Targeted 1:1 coaching sessions are a chance to get expert feedback on your job search strategy, career story, materials, or interview style. Think of it like adding a few personal training sessions to the group coaching experience!
We encourage you to consider adding individual coaching sessions to the program if you are navigating a major career transition or seeking individualized feedback or a deeper level of support. Sessions can be added during checkout or while the program is running, and can be used before, during, or after the program.
I was initially planning to do individual coaching instead of the Bootcamp, and I’m so glad I did the combination. I got the benefits of working with the group and also having dedicated support from a coach on the priority areas where I wanted to go deeper. Doing both gave me a wider set of tools and a bigger community to support me in my search. It was a great balance.”
– Bootcamp + 1:1 coaching alum
Ready to go?
Still have questions?
Please see the FAQs and feedback from past participants below. If your question isn’t answered there, please get in touch.
What Bootcampers say
Bootcamp was the best time and money I have spent in a long time. For anyone who is in the midst of or even thinking about a career transition, this is such an exceptional opportunity to refine your thinking about who you are and what you want, and to develop a compelling case for why prospective employers would want and need you on their teams.”
– Becky S.
“I thought about this Bootcamp for some time before joining and am thrilled with the results! It was a major confidence booster, and the work I did to update my job search materials is invaluable. I really enjoyed this virtual format and the pace at which it moved. I’m WAY farther down the job search path, and I feel like I’m ready to move forward.”
– Mindy N.
“This experience far exceeded my expectations! I am blown away by the depth of the resources you have provided and am so grateful to feel like I have the confidence and game plan I need to get a job I love! Connecting with others and going through the job hunting process as a group was incredibly valuable.”
– Kim T.
“I feel like the job search process has been demystified! I am now more able to articulate my own professional background and goals. I identified issues with my resume and cover letter that I didn’t even know existed, and have since fixed them. I flipped my LinkedIn account from something I despised and didn’t understand to a more controlled and polished networking tool. And I feel much more prepared & confident going into job interviews.”
– Jessica L.
“Before the Bootcamp, I felt stuck. I had been submitting applications online and doing little to no networking. My confidence was shaken. Now, I feel empowered and knowledgeable about job searching. As a result of the Bootcamp, I have a catchy LinkedIn page and a one-page resume that highlights my skills and value. Bootcamp empowered me to think differently, bolster my network and create a path to pursue my goals.”
– Abby B.
A full refund is available up to two weeks before the Bootcamp begins. After that time, registration fees are not refundable. Additional details and program policies are available here.
Combining the Bootcamp with 1:1 or small group coaching sessions is a great way to get more tailored support from our coaches and go deeper on what we cover in group sessions. It’s the best of both worlds! You’ll have the chance to opt-in to add small group or 1:1 coaching sessions to the program when you register.
First of all, you’ll have a team of job search buddies who will be incredibly excited for you! If you land a job during the Bootcamp, the expectation is that you will complete the program, as the skills we cover will be valuable and applicable for you throughout your career and will help you rock your future job searches. If continuing to participate presents a scheduling issue for you due to your new role, we can discuss your individual situation at that time.
This is highly individual and depends on where you are in your search when you join the program and many other factors, including the type of role you are looking for, how significant a career transition you are making, how much time and effort you put into your search, and how closely you follow the strategies we discuss in the program. Job searching is hard work and there is no magic bullet!
Some Bootcamp participants who had already started their searches before joining have landed jobs during the program or shortly afterward. Others who are just getting started have continued to work on their search for 3-6 months after the program ends. Remember that this program will give you the tools for a successful search, and it’s up to you to put them into action!
Not yet! However, if there is enough interest we may offer additional groups for professionals who are earlier or later in their careers in the future. Please share your interest with us here and we’ll keep you updated on future groups and programs that would be a good fit for you.
I would like to participate but I will need to miss a meeting due to a previous commitment; can I still sign up?
Because Bootcamp is a fast-moving program and we focus on active practice during our meetings, regular attendance and participation is important to ensure you get the most out of the program. We do many small group and partner activities on our calls that you won’t want to miss! All calls are recorded, so if you do need to miss a session you can watch it later to catch up on our discussion. If you anticipate you will need to miss more than a few calls, we recommend participating in a future group that is a better fit with your schedule. Sign up here to find out when new groups are opened.
Currently, Bootcamp meetings are held during daytime hours. All Bootcamp sessions take place virtually on the Zoom meeting platform, so you can join from anywhere with a strong internet connection. While you will still need to take a break during the day to attend, you won’t have to travel anywhere and you can join meetings from home, work, or anywhere else that is convenient. This saves time and makes participation easier if you have work or other commitments during the day.
If you know you can only participate in an evening session, please let us know here and we’ll be sure to contact you if we offer an evening program in the future.
This program is called Bootcamp for a reason, and it’s important that you are able to devote significant time and energy to the program if you join. You should plan on spending at least 3-5 hours per week on meetings and homework, and significantly more than that if you are already actively job searching. If you can’t realistically make that commitment right now, consider joining the Bootcamp at a later date; you can sign up here to be the first to learn about future programs.
Bootcamp covers similar content and gives you access to the same templates and materials as our Individual Coaching Program. However, there are a few important differences between this program and individual coaching:
- Bootcamp moves more quickly and is not as tailored as 1:1 coaching: Bootcamp is a fast-paced program, and we move through a new topic every week. It’s purposefully designed to cover all the content you need for a successful job search in a short timeframe to give your search a jumpstart. Because of the fast pace of the program, we can’t alter the curriculum specifically to individual needs. That said, we offer a variety of opportunities for Q&A so you can raise the specific questions you have, including in our private discussion group where you can ask questions and get feedback from your coaches and peers.
- Bootcamp helps you tap experience and insights from a broader group: One of the unique benefits of group coaching is the learning, support, and accountability you get from other group members. While you may not have encountered a particular situation before, it’s almost guaranteed that someone else in the group has, and that they can share their experience and insights with you. The group discussions we have are incredibly rich and are often cited by participants as one of the biggest benefits of the program.
- Bootcamp helps you build a community of other job seekers: While individual coaching is more tailored to your situation, it’s just you and your coach. Through joining the Bootcamp, you’ll meet a group of peers who will support you in your search even after the program ends. Job searching can be a lonely and isolating process – but it doesn’t have to be! Joining the Bootcamp is an incredible way to boost your energy and confidence through meeting others who are going through the same process. As you go through the ups and downs of the search, you’ll know that you have a team of like-minded colleagues to support you, no matter what.
If you like the idea of the group model and would also like some extra 1:1 support, we also offer option to add individual coaching sessions to the program. You’ll have the chance to opt-in for this when you register for the Bootcamp.
If you would prefer not to work in a group model or have circumstances that you feel require more tailored support, you may want to instead consider our three month individual coaching program.
You definitely don’t need to know the exact job title you want to join the Bootcamp. If you did, this whole process would be a lot easier, wouldn’t it? Many participants find that their ideal role becomes much clearer during the program, and that sometimes it ends up being different than what they thought coming in.
That said, to get the most out of this program you should have some sense of what you’d like to do next, even if it still feels a little fuzzy. While we do a number of activities designed to help you identify your priorities and get clarity on your direction, we do move quickly and we don’t spend as much time doing the deep reflection and exploration you may need if you are truly at a crossroads and unsure about what you want to do next.
If that’s your situation, you may want to consider adding small group or 1:1 coaching to the program to get clearer on your career direction and goals. We also offer an annual Career Clarity Retreat, which is an opportunity to work with us on this process. Alternatively, we invite you to join the next round of Bootcamp once you have spent more time thinking through your career goals.
The best time to join the Bootcamp is shortly before you’re ready to launch a new job search, or when you’ve been searching for a while on your own and not seeing the results you want. If you’re a planner, it’s great to do the Bootcamp three to six months before you’d ideally like to start a new role, or a month or two prior to kicking off your active job search. That way you can get started on things like updating your resume and LinkedIn profile so you’ll be ready to hit the ground running when you’re ready to launch an active job search.