Update as of August 2019: the next live Job Search Bootcamp group will start in early October and registration will open in mid-September. Please join the list here to be notified when registration opens.
You can also sign up for the self-study version of Job Search Bootcamp at any time to work through the material at your own pace.
Stand out. Get hired. Do the work you love.
Have you hit a wall with your job search? Are you ready to start looking for a new job, but not even sure where to start?
You’re not alone.
Let’s face it, job searching can be a frustrating, confusing, and isolating process, especially when you’re looking for mission-driven work. Do any of these sound familiar?
- You want to be strategic with your job search, but you’re not sure how to maximize your time and energy. Every time you sit down to do some work, you feel paralyzed, like you’re not sure where to start or what to do first.
- Now that you’re advancing in your career, you know that you need to be more intentional about the roles you pursue. You get that that applying to jobs online isn’t that effective, but you’re not sure how to find opportunities that you can get excited about (and that can pay the bills!).
- You’re struggling with telling your story, especially when your career path is a little…non-linear. You know you have lots of great skills and value to bring to an organization, but you’re not sure how to communicate them in an effective way.
- It seems like the “best practices” for things like resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn are changing all the time, and it’s virtually impossible to keep up. You know you need to be up on the latest trends, but Googling can only get you so far.
And to add to all this, there’s the emotional toll of job searching. One minute you’re flying high after getting an interview, and the next you’re devastated after the role you’ve invested so much time in doesn’t pan out.
This process can take a hit on your confidence, and it can make you feel really alone. You can only vent to your family and friends so many times about your frustrations. They’re sympathetic and supportive, but they don’t really get it.
So you’re tired of going it alone, feeling stuck, and putting in the time and work but not seeing results. You know something needs to change, but what?
Job Search Bootcamp will help you answer that question and give you the tools, motivation, and support to find and land a job you love.
How it started
Erin created Job Search Bootcamp to fill a need she saw among many of her clients, and that she experienced herself. When she hit about the 10 year mark post-college, she realized she needed to approach her career and job search in a different way. She needed to:
- Be more strategic and intentional about finding her next job. She now had a master’s degree and experience across several sectors. She knew more about what she liked and was good at and had different priorities than earlier in her career. She couldn’t just pick up and move anywhere, and her salary requirements were definitely higher. It was time to put more thought into what she wanted to do next, instead of taking whatever opportunity sounded good or came along first.
- Tap and cultivate her professional network. Her first few jobs out of college and grad school had come through campus recruiting or a more structured government application process. She knew that networking was important, but had never gotten a job that way and wasn’t sure how to navigate the process to find a job.
- Figure out how to market and talk about her varied skillset: she had worked in the private sector, government, and nonprofits and on topics from education to international public health. She had experience as a recruiter and HR professional, a U.S. diplomat, and a nonprofit program/project manager. How could (and should) she tie those together into a story that made sense?
Erin eventually figured out a path forward after lots of trial and error, and once she started working as a career coach, she saw that many of her clients were wrestling with the same topics at about the same time in their careers.
So she started Job Search Bootcamp in 2016 to help mid-career social impact professionals find and land their next jobs, in a group structure that provides support, collaboration, accountability, and motivation – the very things that are missing when you’re job searching on your own.
If this approach resonates and you’re ready to think seriously about your next steps, we hope you’ll join us and a small group of like-minded professionals to kick your job search into gear.
“I got new energy and self-confidence after taking your class. I feel better about my networking, negotiation, and interview skills in a way that I could not have done alone.”
– Michelle W.
Ready to go?
Why it works
Wouldn’t it be nice to get momentum in your job search and check off those tasks you’ve been putting off? Like updating your resume? Dusting off the LinkedIn profile you haven’t updated since starting your last job? Finally setting up those networking coffees you’ve been thinking about but not acting on?
There’s a reason you haven’t gotten the results you want on your own. This work is hard. It requires tons of self-motivation, insight into your own strengths and weaknesses, and the ability to weather a lot of ups and downs.
That’s why we created the Bootcamp to be a fast-paced, intense program to help you get unstuck and get results. Our meetings each week are action-packed and fun, and you’ll leave each one with specific steps to take in the week ahead to ensure you’re on track toward your goals.
The program will give you the structure, tools and motivation you need to tackle the hard stuff that’s keeping you from taking the next step in your career. And the feedback, support and encouragement you’ll get from other group members will give you new clarity on your strengths and accomplishments and help you navigate the inevitable highs and lows of the job search.
But don’t just take it from us – here’s what other Bootcampers had to say after finishing the program:
Before the Bootcamp, I felt stuck. I had been submitting applications online and doing little to no networking. My confidence was shaken. Now, I feel empowered and knowledgeable about job searching. As a result of the Bootcamp, I have a catchy LinkedIn page and a one-page resume that highlights my skills and value. Bootcamp empowered me to think differently, bolster my network and create a path to pursue my goals.”
– Abby B.
The small-group format of Job Search Bootcamp was refreshing and helpful. We quickly felt comfortable sharing our experiences and giving each other feedback; through Erin’s professional guidance and our combined networks, several of us began landing interviews within a few weeks. By the end of the Bootcamp, I had a new job! If you’re a mid-career professional who’s feeling “stuck” in your job search, I highly recommend signing up.”
– Nicole G.
Who it’s for
This program isn’t for everyone. It’s probably a great fit for you if:
- You’re a mid-career professional, with about 10-20 years of work experience.
- You want to do work that has a positive social impact, in the private, public, or nonprofit sectors.
- You’re motivated to work hard on your job search and able to spend at least 5-10 hours per week on the process, both during and outside of group meetings.
- You’re open to coaching and new ideas about the best way to get results.
- You’re excited to work with a group of like-minded peers and to give and receive honest feedback in a group setting.
What we’ll do
Job Search Bootcamp is a six week small group coaching program designed to help mid-career social impact professionals kick start or reinvigorate their job search.
Every week you’ll meet with your coach and a small group of other social impact job seekers to build your skills in each step of the job search process, with time for discussion, Q&A, and feedback.
In between meetings, you’ll complete assignments and check in with your accountability partner to ensure you’re making progress. At the end of the program, you’ll have a 30-minute individual career coaching session to make sure you’re fully ready to tackle your search.
Topics we cover each week are:
1Create Your Strategy
Developing your job search strategy and goals
2Tell Your Story
Identifying your strengths and “career story”
3Activate Your Network
Networking strategy and tools
4Update Your Toolkit
Resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles
5Nail the Interview
Interview strategy, practice, and feedback
6Negotiate the Offer
Negotiation strategy and best practices
What you’ll get
If you join Job Search Bootcamp, put in the time and work and complete all assignments, within six weeks you will have:
- Goals and a plan for your search, to help you structure your time and work smarter not harder
- More clarity and confidence in how to tell your unique “career story”
- Job search tools to help you stand out and get hired: a revamped resume, LinkedIn profile, and cover letter
- Proven tactics to help you succeed in behavioral interviews and feedback to improve your performance
- Practice and tools to negotiate job offers and ask for what you want with confidence
In addition, you’ll get:
- Insights and advice from a career coach and recruiter who knows the nonprofit, public, and private sectors
- Lifetime access to a comprehensive toolkit of job search templates and resources that will help you implement proven strategies right away
- Accountability and support from peers who are going through the same experience, and a network you will rely on far beyond the end of the program
- A shared Facebook group to ask questions and get support in between meetings
- A 30-minute individual coaching session to get targeted feedback and the option to purchase additional individual coaching sessions at a discount
- Inclusion in a growing alumni network of social impact professionals and special access to news, job postings, and other content shared only with alumni
When it happens
Job Search Bootcamp groups are offered three times per year and are held virtually via the Zoom video meeting platform. Groups are intentionally kept small and fill up quickly. The next live group will begin in fall 2019, and you can sign up below to be the first to learn when dates are announced.
We are also excited to now offer a special self-study version of the Bootcamp that you can join at any time. With this program you’ll get access to all the course materials immediately and you can work through them at your own pace.
What it costs
Program cost includes all group meetings, lifetime access to course materials, one 30-minute individual coaching session, and inclusion in a growing alumni network of social impact professionals.
Early pricing (live program): $750
Regular pricing (live program): $900
Self-study pricing: $300
Ready to go?
Fill out the form below to learn when new groups are scheduled.
Questions? Please see the FAQs below. If your question isn’t answered there, please get in touch.
The best time to join the Bootcamp is shortly before you’re ready to launch a new job search, or when you’ve been searching for a while on your own and not seeing the results you want. If you’re a planner, it’s great to do the Bootcamp three to six months before you’d ideally like to start a new role, or a month or two prior to kicking off your active job search. That way you can get started on things like updating your resume and LinkedIn profile so you’ll be ready to hit the ground running when you’re ready to launch an active job search.
You definitely don’t need to know the exact job title you want (if you did, this whole process would be a lot easier, wouldn’t it?). Many participants find that their ideal role becomes much clearer during the program and sometimes it ends up being different than what they thought coming in.
However, to get the most out of this program you should have some sense of what you’d like to do next, even if it still feels a little fuzzy. That’s because we move quickly and we don’t spend a lot of time doing the deep reflection and exploration that you may need if you are truly at a crossroads and unsure about what you want to do next. If that’s your situation, you may want to consider working with me or another coach to get clearer on your career direction and goals before joining this program.
Group coaching is an excellent way to get many of the same benefits you would get from individual coaching at a lower cost and with the added bonus of building your network and getting support from like-minded peers. Groups are limited in size so that they are small enough for plenty of discussion, and you’ll have opportunities to partner with and get to know everyone else in the group.
The Bootcamp covers similar content and gives you access to the same templates and materials as my individual coaching program, but there are a few important differences between this program and individual coaching:
- It moves more quickly and is not as tailored: Bootcamp is a six week program, and we move through a new topic every week. It’s purposefully designed to cover all the content you need for a successful job search in a short timeframe to give your search a jumpstart. Because of the fast pace of the program, we can’t alter the curriculum specifically to individual needs. That said, a significant portion of our meetings is devoted to group discussion and Q&A when you can raise the specific questions you have, and you’ll also be getting individualized feedback during the pair activities we do in sessions and from your accountability partner outside of sessions. We also have a shared Facebook group where you can ask questions and get feedback from me and others in the group.
- It helps you tap experience and insights from a broader group: One of the unique benefits of group coaching is the learning, support, and accountability you get from other group members. While you may not have encountered a particular situation before, it’s almost guaranteed that someone else in the group has, and can share their experience and insights with you. The group discussions we have are incredibly rich and are often cited by participants as one of the biggest benefits of the program.
- You’ll build a community of other job seekers: While individual coaching is more tailored to your situation, it’s just you and me. Through joining the Bootcamp, you’ll meet a group of peers who will support you in your search even after the program ends. Job searching can be a lonely and isolating process – but it doesn’t have to be! Joining the Bootcamp is an incredible way to boost your energy and confidence through meeting others who are going through the same process. As you go through the ups and downs of the search, you’ll know that you have a team of like-minded colleagues to support you, no matter what.
If you would prefer not to work in a group model or have circumstances that you feel need more tailored support, I also offer individual coaching either instead of or as a complement to the Bootcamp. If you are interested in this option, please review the details of my three month individual coaching program and contact me to set up a brief consultation so we can explore working together.
In short, not much! While of course it’s a different experience not being together in the same place physically, I strive to create a very similar experience for participants in the virtual group. This is not an online course that you take by yourself (because what’s the fun in that?!). Our weekly virtual meetings are held live on the Zoom video platform and we’ll cover all the same content, activities and exercises as the in person groups.
The only structural difference between the two groups is that virtual meetings are split into a 90-minute meeting and a 30-minute follow up call, while in person meetings are two hours. You will still be matched with an accountability partner to check in with weekly, and we’ll learn, celebrate and build community just as we would if we were together in person. More and more work is being done virtually these days, so if you haven’t had the chance to do video meetings before, this will also be a great skill to learn to prepare for your next job!
Regardless of where you are in your search, it’s important that you are able to devote significant time and energy to the program when you join. You should plan on spending at least 5 hours a week on meetings and homework, and significantly more than that if you are already actively job searching. If you can’t realistically make that commitment right now, consider doing the Bootcamp at a later date; you can sign up here to be the first to learn about future programs.
Currently, evening sessions are not available. If you are working full-time, I encourage you to check out my virtual Bootcamp program, which you can participate in from anywhere with a strong internet connection. This is usually the best option for people who are currently employed. While you will still need to take a break during the day to attend, you won’t have to travel anywhere and you can join meetings from home, work, or anywhere else that is convenient. This saves time and makes participation easier if you have work or other commitments during the day.
If you know you can only participate in an evening session, please let me know right here and I’ll be sure to contact you if I offer an evening program in the future.
I would like to participate but I will need to miss a meeting due to a previous commitment; can I still sign up?
Because we have a small group and only six meetings, attendance and participation in group meetings is very important. If you know that you will need to miss one session, I can accommodate that and will let you know in advance what we’ll be working on during our meeting and how you can complete the work on your own. If you anticipate you will need to miss more than one meeting, it will be best for you to participate in a future group that is a better fit with your schedule. Sign up here to find out when new groups are opened.
Not yet! However, if there is enough interest I may offer additional groups for professionals who are earlier or later in their careers. Please share your interest with me here and I’ll keep you updated on future groups and programs that would be a good fit for you.
This is highly individual and depends on where you are in your search when you join the program and many other factors, including the type of role you are looking for, how significant a career transition you are making, how much time and effort you put into your search, and how closely you follow the strategies we discuss in the program. Job searching is hard work and there is no magic bullet!
Some Bootcamp participants who had already started their searches before joining have landed jobs during the program or shortly afterward. Others who are just getting started have continued to work on their search for 3-6 months after the program ends. Remember that this program will give you the tools for a successful search, and it’s up to you to put them into action!
First of all, you’ll have a team of job search buddies who will be incredibly excited for you! If you land a job during the Bootcamp, the expectation is that you will complete the program, as the skills we cover will be valuable and applicable for you throughout your career and will help you rock your future job searches. If continuing to participate presents a scheduling issue for you due to your new role, we can discuss your individual situation at that time.
Adding supplemental 1:1 coaching is a great way to get more tailored support outside of what we cover in group sessions. Joining the Bootcamp will help you get all your job search fundamentals covered, so that we can focus more on your specific situation and needs during individual coaching sessions. One 30-minute individual coaching session is included at the end of the program. You also have the option to pre-purchase two additional 60-minute individual sessions at a discounted rate when signing up for the Bootcamp, and you can also purchase individual sessions later on at the normal coaching rate. As an alumni of the program, you’ll continue to have priority access to individual coaching with me whenever you need additional support.
A full refund is available up to two weeks before the Bootcamp begins. After that time registration fees are not refundable. If you identify someone else who can participate in your place and who I also agree is a good fit for the program, you may transfer your registration to them until one week before the Bootcamp begins.
What Bootcampers say
Bootcamp was the best time and money I have spent in a long time. For anyone who is in the midst of or even thinking about a career transition, this is such an exceptional opportunity to refine your thinking about who you are and what you want, and to develop a compelling case for why prospective employers would want and need you on their teams.”
– Becky S.
The job search process can be incredibly daunting. The structure that Erin brings to this process and the support from fellow job searchers is invaluable. It helped me reflect on my job search as well as my career as a whole.”
– Stephanie S.
Erin is a skilled facilitator and networker who knows how to coach people through their hesitancies and uncertainties about the job search. The homework and exercises she provided were top notch and very useful for clarifying goals and problems. She’s an unwavering cheerleader for people to find their best selves in work that’s meaningful for them. I would highly recommend her Bootcamp.”
– Toni H.
I feel like the job search process has been demystified! I am now more able to articulate my own professional background and goals. I identified issues with my resume and cover letter that I didn’t even know existed, and have since fixed them. I flipped my LinkedIn account from something I despised and didn’t understand to a more controlled and polished networking tool. And I feel much more prepared & confident going into job interviews.”
– Jessica L.
The Bootcamp provided a space for me to develop a clear idea of who I am as a professional and to share that in a succinct way. The intense self examination of my values, my worth, and my skills has been invaluable to me and given me a renewed sense of possibility and opportunity in my job search. Within three weeks of starting the Bootcamp, I had my first interview in nearly two years for a job I felt truly matched my skills and values.”
– Heather P.
Prior to the Bootcamp, I felt stuck in my search. I was unsure of the direction I wanted to focus on and the effectiveness of networking. Through the process of working with Erin and our group, I was able to identify companies that I would like to work for and dispel negative assumptions about networking, and I now feel much more confident about that aspect of the job search. Resumes and LinkedIn were de-mystified, and I now have a framework of what works. There were so many valuable things I learned through this program, it is tough to choose just one.”
– April M.
When I first learned about Job Search Bootcamp, I was feeling defeated, unfocused and unsure of myself as a professional – even with an extensive professional background! The group process and accountability, individual assignments and ongoing encouragement helped to turn all of that around. I was successful in recreating my job search material, narrowing and focusing my networking and outreach, and regaining confidence in my skills and abilities. I highly recommend this group to anyone going through a career transition, relocation or even if you just need a career reboot and shakeup!
– Lauri B.
If you’re ready to launch a focused job search, Bootcamp is a great way to prepare to go into interviews with confidence and gives you tools to feel more in control of the search process. The materials are extremely relevant and informative and the small group format provides a great forum for learning from other participants.”
– Jennifer A.
I am really glad I took this course. I feel more aware of my strengths now, and all the work we put in helped me realize what I can bring to an organization. In the Bootcamp, you will learn things that can really push you ahead in your job search and you’ll grow a strong network at the same time.”
– Suti S.
Before joining Bootcamp, I was burnt out and I knew I needed a change, but I didn’t know how to focus my energy. I was excited about the possibilities but had no clue where to start in looking for something next! Now I have so much more clarity on the roles I know I would be a great fit for. I also feel like I’ve gotten to know myself a lot more through this process, which makes me feel confident going into my job search.”– Carrie Z.
Before the Bootcamp, I had a sense of the direction I wanted to go, but I didn’t know how to go about it. I also knew my resume and cover letter were in desperate need of a makeover. Bootcamp gave me a new perspective on how my materials were being viewed from the other side of the divide, and Erin provided tools to make things tangible and practical. Having a group of like-minded individuals to bounce ideas off of was such a big help, and being able to write and submit resumes and cover letters has been so much easier since solidifying what I envision for myself and how I can make that show up on paper.”– Leslie A.